Preserve access, join today!
your climbing future

Utahclimbers.com

Public Forum For Utah Climbers

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:10 pm 
Broseidon, King Of The Brocean

I recieved this PM today:

I represent the mining company that is currently operating on the private parcel of land you refer to as Triassic. This site is now an active mine site.

Acces will not be an issue given there is no desturction of mining property and waste is picked up. As a part owner in the company and land steward we encourage multiple use of land. Given that this is a private parcel we do need to have a talk about what is written in your publications about inviting other to this property.

Sincerely,

Russell D. Taylor, MBA

My direct email is russt@livearth.com please send all correspondence
there.

*****PLEASE RESPECT THE MINING COMPANY'S LAND AND PROPERTY.

I hope that whomever in our community is most qualified to correspond to these kind people will do so asap.

JEFF BALDWIN?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:57 pm 
Bust A Move

is he responding to a post on uc.com?

Mike Beck and Jeff Baldwin, maybe we along with Steve Downes and Nate Smith should write a formal contact letter? This seems like a good sign. They are reaching out and willing to establish a long term relationship instead of shutting it down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:07 pm 

mc wrote:
is he responding to a post on uc.com?

200#gorilla wrote:
anybody know what is going on with the heavy equipment and new road out to the petroglyph area?

is access going to be an issue in the near future?

jeff baldwin???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:48 am 
Being the Real Strong

That's pretty impressive that they're contacting us proactively to talk about access. I hope everyone can respect their property, like is done with the oil rigs in joes, so that we can continue to use this incredible place.

At some point, it seems like we should let other people around here know about this, since not everyone reads this site. (Although they should). Maybe at the upcoming SLCA comp? Or even the comp this saturday?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:28 am 
LCC Emeritus

Gorilla, thanks for the post. I sent a brief message to Russell this morning on behalf of the SLCA. I thanked him for his concern and willingness to deal with the climbers on this issue and extended an invitation to talk. I will try and let everyone know the situation out there as soon as I hear back from him. I will also try and get him a guidebook so he can have a better idea of where we have been climbing and which areas are of most concern. Since there are also petroglyphs at Triassic we may at some point want to get the state involved. Stay tuned.
p.s. maybe if we get him a guidebook, shoes, and a pad he will get into the bouldering and give up on the mining!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:37 am 

mb wrote:

p.s. maybe if we get him a guidebook, shoes, and a pad he will get into the bouldering and give up on the mining!

best plan of attck evar.

maybe he can help us find more boulders!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:50 am 
Being the Real Strong

Heck, maybe they can dig up more boulders!

Btw, all you guys with the slca, and everyone else that's working to keep things accessible in utah are awesome. Seriously, I'll buy any of you a beer, or a root beer, any time. You guys rock. Thanks for everything!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:53 am 
S to the P to the R to the A to the Y

i concur.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:55 am 
Gaper

I've never been to trassic, but i am an environmental consultant who works for mining companies. let me know if i can be of any help. pm me if you want, but let me know here i don't check them unless i have something to say!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:20 am 

oldfattradguy just became the hero of uc.com!!!!

we love you you old fatty!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:41 pm 
LCC Emeritus

I just spoke to the President of the mining company, LiveEarth, and Russell Taylor, the person who first contacted Gorilla regarding Triassic. They are really nice guys, and are willing to continue to allow access out at Triassic. Their company mines humic acid, used for fertilizer and other products. From the sound of it the mining will not interfere with any of the climbing, as they are not interested in any areas where there is rock. I am going down next week to meet with them and figure out exactly where they will be mining, where we should start parking, etc. The main thing they are concerned about is liability and damage to their equipment. While under Utah law they are essentially shielded from liability with respect to any injuries on their property, they were somewhat concerned about "monkey wrench" tactics used on their equipment. We need to make sure and get the word out that any of this type of behavior from the climbing community would seriously threaten access to the area and is unacceptable.
The president of the company, David, could be interested in eventually selling or leasing the land. This may be something to explore further with the Access Fund and others. He seems like a great guy, and told me he has always been concerned with environmental stewardship in regards to his mining sites. He also mentioned that if we needed any work done on the roads down there he would be interested in helping out.
I will update the site on any further developments, particularly after I go meet with them next week. In the meantime, please try and get the word out as far as what is happening down there so no problems arise while we try and negotiate this delicate situation. Thanks, mb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:43 pm 

positive vibrations!

nice public relations work MB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:59 pm 
Fully Gay (NTTIAWWT)

thanks mb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:43 pm 

SLC climbers rule.

thanks mb, gorilla, and whoever else will be getting involved in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:50 pm 
Chupacabra

This is a surprising development. How did he find you gorilla? You should give him some of your prints or something....