Red Letter Day & Jim Moss

Moderator: Shaft

TREEHUG
N00b

Red Letter Day & Jim Moss

Postby TREEHUG » Fri May 31, 2013 3:38 pm

I was up by trench warfare yesterday climbing on what I was told to be red letter day. Does anybody know if this starts matched on underclings, busts up left to the bottom of the rail then climbs up and right bear hugging a fridge to the most heinous mantle I have ever tried that leads to a short 3 foot head wall? Secondly, how does Jim moss go? It looks like it could have 2 possible starts. The first and most obvious, starts matched on a crimp rail in the center of the face, then campus the first 2 moves and then an impossible move up and left to a sidepull (which I could not even come close to doing). The second option I saw which is about 10 times easier, starts about 5 feet left of that crimp rail. Left hand on a crimp and jump start to a crystal sidepull then up. I was also told Jim moss is suppose to be around V7? If the obvious start on the right is in fact 'the line' then this is no way V7! Any information on these two climbs would be appreciated. I was also told this area is pretty well developed, I would love to hear more about it. Thanks

Edited to express the difficulty of Red Letter Day's mantle.

TREEHUG
N00b

Re: Red Letter Day & Jim Moss

Postby TREEHUG » Fri May 31, 2013 3:55 pm

This is what I climbed on today. Can I at least get a yes or no if this Red Letter Day or not?
http://s1351.photobucket.com/user/treee ... sort=3&o=0

mc
Bust A Move

Postby mc » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:38 am

yep thats red letter day. Jim moss starts on a couple of edges near the lip of the roof if I'm remembering correctly.

TREEHUG
N00b

Postby TREEHUG » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:20 pm

So does Red Letter Day start standing on the underclings? Or does it start sitting? Both seem pretty logical to me. I just want to make sure I don't claim to climb something if I didn't start right.

The Monk
Chuffer

Postby The Monk » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:22 pm

Jim Moss starts on the edge in the face as you described. It is more like V9.

Just up and left of Jim Moss is Blueberry (V6)

The arete on the boulder that is the landing for Red Letter Day is called the Bayonet arete (V8)

There are a number of problems on the backside of the trench warfare boulder. On the left hand side of the down canyon face is a tall problem called The Red Baron, V9ish. On the up hill side is Mustard Gas (V7)on the left and the Melee arete (V8)on the right. There is a project start to melee on the pedestal to the left(V10/11?).

Just down canyon from the backside of the trench warfare boulder is a face with a few problems on it, V6-V9ish i think . slightly overhanging face to a mantle. Sort of like a little cliff band.

The Monk
Chuffer

Postby The Monk » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:23 pm

I started Red Letter Day standing

TREEHUG
N00b

Postby TREEHUG » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:44 am

Thanks for all the info Monk. Red Letter Day is one of my all time favorites, great work. As for the area, it is my favorite place to climb in the entire canyon, so it's good to know what is up there. Looks like there are a lot more reasons to head back up that way. Thanks again.

Return to “Bouldering”