Matt Lund Fund-Raisier, Nov 16th, Club Vegas - 8 PM.

Moderator: Shaft

manyo
Christmas card from a hooker in Minneapolis

Matt Lund Fund-Raisier, Nov 16th, Club Vegas - 8 PM.

Postby manyo » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:28 pm

Matt is a 28 year old Salt Lake City climber of over 13 years. His climbing accomplishments are at the highest level. He has repeated the most difficult routes in the US and established first ascents in many areas. His unassuming and warm personality left everyone at the cliffs feeling good. Matt is a valued member of our climbing community.

Matt on his 5.14 at Ely

Matt is also an accomplished student. Focusing on Economics at the U of U, he is nearing his PhD and has received several prestigious scholarships along the way. He is a father to a 6 month old baby girl named Reagan and a loving husband to his wife Brooke.

In October this year, while attending the wedding of a friend, Matt dove into a small lake, hit his head and caused major damage to his spine. He is partially paralyzed from the chest down. Matt is currently undergoing medical care at the University of Utah. Unfortunately, Matt has no medical insurance and the bills are piling up fast.

Matt and his family need our help. As a community of friends and climbers we are working to assist them in their time of need through several fund-raisers.

Matt on Connect the Goddamn Dots at Santa Clara
Thanks to Jeff Baldwin for the photos.

For more information, please visit www.mattlundfund.com

October 21, 2006
Sell your old gear for Matt

During the bi-annual Black Diamond Gear Swap on October 21st, 2092 East 3900 South in Salt Lake City, a group of Matt's friends will be selling any gear that you are willing to donate: shoes, ropes, harnesses... anything you don't need and don't feel like having around the garage anymore. All proceeds will go directly to the Matt Lund Fund. Just drop off your gear to the Black Diamond Retail Store or phone 706-4522 and we'll come pick it up.

October 28, 2006
Deadpoint Climbing Competition

The Front Climbing Gym is hosting The Dead Point Climbing Comp and Matt Lund Fundraiser on the 28th of October from 12 pm to 4 pm. There will be an after-party at 5 pm with food, Squatter's Beer, and non-alcoholic drinks.

A special presentation of Josh Lowell's www.bigupproductions.com unreleased Dosage 4 footage that was part of the Reel Rock Tour as well 20 minutes of never before seen bonus footage from the Dosage series will be shown.

Admission is free for competitors, $10 for everyone else. All of the proceeds will go to the Matt Lund Fund.

The Front is located at 1450 S. 400 W. in Salt Lake City www.frontslc.com for directions.
Last edited by manyo on Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

jc
Crushing The Slips

Postby jc » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:31 pm

poor matt,
i feel for him and his family.
i'm sure the community will do what they can for him.

sp
No Steezy Afterbang

Postby sp » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:08 pm

Terrible news, and my heart goes out to Matt and his family.

I saw probably at least 75 people at the Peter Croft slide show to help out John Bachar.
Bachar is one of my heros, as is Croft. But guys, this is a local, whose need is even greater. Let's make sure we do at least as much.
--Steve

weschrist
dick hole

Postby weschrist » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:58 pm

Damn (sorry about the potty mouth Reagan), I haven't run into Matt since he started going to the U. I was glad to see such a strong climber psyched on school, I was neither strong nor psyched on school. Nice guy too, I hope he recovers quickly.

Best wishes to him and his family.
Last edited by weschrist on Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The point is, you see, that there is no point in driving yourself mad trying to stop yourself going mad. You might just as well give in and save your sanity for later." FP

Jos-F
N00b

Address for donations?

Postby Jos-F » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:30 am

Matt is one of the coolest guys I've ever met - smart, unassuming, and freakishly strong. Sad news, and I hope he recovers.

- Joe Reis

dirt girl
Gaper

Postby dirt girl » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:29 pm

Matt was one of the first people I met when I moved to Salt Lake in 1998. Besides being incredibly talented, he is also one of the most positive, supportive people I've ever climbed with. He and Brooke (who does a fantastic job cutting my hair) are both wonderful folks. My heart goes out to them.

Dustin
children trust me

Postby Dustin » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:04 am

Small edit to Manho's post: the comp is from 2p-5p, with check-in at 1:30p.

You can pre-register at www.frontslc.com and please do as this helps us plan for the event. You can also make extra donations there, which will all go to Matt Lund.

Party will probably get going around 5:30p or as soon as we clean the place up a bit.

All proceeds go to Matt Lund, and the party is included with your comp ticket. Its also our Halloween comp, so we've got prizes for costumes.

grayhghost
Super motivated and shit

Postby grayhghost » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:29 am

El Nino: A Pirates Tale
On October 16th Tim Kemple and Chris Lindner finished a (pretty much) free ascent of 3,000 foot El Capitan in Yosemite National Park,
via the El Nino route (5.13c A0). The route was climbed ground-up in four days and includes seven 5.13 pitches including the Black Cave,
a forty-foot roof perched nearly 2,500 feet off the ground.

There will be a slideshow of the ascent at the Matt Lund Benefit afterparty.
There will also be some shots of newly developed Yosemite Bouldering and various other antics perpetrated by the pirates.

smashy
Hmm, I could see maybe being into that..

Postby smashy » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:26 pm

I just wanted to thank everyone who showed up to support Matt Lund at the Front yesterday and last night!! We were able to raise $3700.00 to help cover expenses for Matt and his family Brooke and Reagan; check www.mattlundfund.com for more info as well as further events.

Again, HUGE thanks to The Front for letting us "piggy-back" their comp and the route setters/wall strippers for donating their time!!

Also, this fundraiser couldn't have been nearly as successful without the donations from all the sponsors who donated gear, Grayhghost for the slideshow, big-up productions for the dosage dvds and Emery for the food/drinks. You all kick ass.

-deric

mowgli
Humorless

Postby mowgli » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:58 pm

I wasn't able to make it to any of the events this weekend. Is there a way to just send them money?
Better a grade whore than a fucking chipper. © 2011

manyo
Christmas card from a hooker in Minneapolis

Postby manyo » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:15 am

mowgli wrote:I wasn't able to make it to any of the events this weekend. Is there a way to just send them money?

There sure is. You can make a deposit to on of the bank accounts set up for him, or through a non-profit assistance orginization called Sol Sanctuary. Visit www.mattlundfund.com for more information.

jonathan knight
Scotch provider

Postby jonathan knight » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:09 pm

Nice job with the comp/party and kudos to all the costumes!

What's up with the online auction? I'd bet that some people need some snow gear, quick like.

weschrist
dick hole

Postby weschrist » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:38 pm

jonathan knight wrote:What's up with the online auction? I'd bet that some people need some snow gear, quick like.

I am currently looking for a board, bindings, boots... split board maybe... anyone?
"The point is, you see, that there is no point in driving yourself mad trying to stop yourself going mad. You might just as well give in and save your sanity for later." FP

smashy
Hmm, I could see maybe being into that..

Postby smashy » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:34 pm

We're still sorting out details regarding the gear auction; once everything is set up we'll post a link. In the meantime, there's another event happening next week.

All of the bands playing this show are great fun and talented musicians; hope to see everyone on the 16th!

oh, here's the line up:

The Rubes

Bronco

Books about UFOs

and

James Shook & Collin Robinson(sorry if any of this is misspelled)

Thanks- deric

Here's all the info:

Hello to the friends of Matt,

We are going to have a concert to benefit Matt and his family on November the 16th. Four bands are donating their talent and tons of sponsors are donating prizes for a raffle.

The concert will be at Club Vegas in Salt Lake. They are going to give Matt the door money (minus paying the soundman) and all draft beer, whiskey and vodka sales (providing we supply the draft beer, whiskey and vodka). We need people to donate these items or donate money towards purchasing them. If you want to donate vodka or whiskey, the club can only use the half-gallon bottles. Wasatch Brewery is giving us a great deal on beer kegs, which is where the donated money will go.

If you would like to make a donation or would like information about the concert, please contact Charles Kimball. You can call his cell phone at 598-5240, or you can email him at charles.kimball@yahoo.com, or drop by his house near Windsor Avenue.

Thanks for your help,

Kristin Lee Swenson

Shaft
mullet baitfish

Postby Shaft » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:55 am

Bump:

Return to “Bouldering”