Accident in Ferguson, 9/24/08

Moderator: Shaft

Shaft
mullet baitfish

Accident in Ferguson, 9/24/08

Postby Shaft » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:39 am

Climber fell off the right hand 5.9 on diminutive rock, the word is that he got off route a little too far to the right and came off, the belayer only slightly arrested his fall if at all. His right ankle/leg was clearly broken and his climbing shoe was pretty much welded to his foot because of the swelling.

Manho and Triznut splinted his ankle, then Deebs, Manho, Triznut, and hiker Mike did a fireman carry to the road, Melinda, the belayer and I humped loads and I ran ahead to see if I could get the gate unlocked - no dice.

A big middle finger to the three climbers subjecting Unction to death by toprope, they passed by the fireman carry without an offer to help.

I can't remember the injured guys name, hopefully the break wasn't too bad.

db
By all means, not a newbie

Postby db » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:47 am

Way to be Shaft.

sp
No Steezy Afterbang

Postby sp » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:10 am

Invalid without pics :wink:

Seriously, sounds like it was a good thing you guys were there.

triznut
T to the Rizzle

Postby triznut » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:30 pm

Isacc was the name of the injured climber, and I believe the belayer said her name was Collen..?

Next time you just walk by and not help...Save your f**king comments about how cute the dogs are too!
S_I_C wrote:Im not spraying about shit this climb is sick

naofumi
Gaper

Postby naofumi » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:06 pm

Isaac Winters?
Man I saw a guy die in the canyon last spring (not by climbing) and my art teacher destroyed his legs on Unction, starting to wonder about that place.

grk10vq
Fully Gay (NTTIAWWT)

Re: Accident in Ferguson, 9/24/08

Postby grk10vq » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:04 pm

Shaft wrote:A big middle finger to the three climbers subjecting Unction to death by toprope, they passed by the fireman carry without an offer to help

thanks for coming to ferguson and keeping the top rope/sport rappelling scene alive!

douches.

starting to wonder about that place.

wonder what?
that its booby trapped?
like me on facebook

Ben Folsom
Lead, follow, or get out of the way!

Postby Ben Folsom » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:22 am

naofumi wrote:Isaac Winters?
Man I saw a guy die in the canyon last spring (not by climbing) and my art teacher destroyed his legs on Unction, starting to wonder about that place.

Ferguson is fine. The routes are short, so the belayer really needs to be on it. If your belayer has slow reflexes or has a hard time paying attention, I would suggest going where the routes are long and the cruxes are at the top.
As for the non-climber deaths that occur every year or so, most of that would be taken care of if we could rid the canyon of the drunk, partying teens who litter their fucking empty glass bottles all over the place.

For the top-ropers, please learn the basics of anchor set up before coming up here. I have seen the lamest anchor setups ever here. Well, almost... Pete's rock can get pretty sketchy. I would also suggest learning how to lead and place gear. It makes climbing much more rewarding. Rock is meant to be led. The gear on extreme unction is great.

I was leading a route up there a few weeks ago and I overheard some dude whispering to his girlfriend that I didn't know what I was doing and that you are supposed to walk around and set up a top-rope. I heard him tell her that I would probably be dead soon.
Wholesome Folsom

jun
S to the P to the R to the A to the Y

Postby jun » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:03 am

he's right. you WILL probably be dead soon.

leading isn't rock climbing.

rock climbing is wearing camo pants and a black t-shirt; walking around and setting up a solid rappel. Then mid way down you try a couple of moves, determine that it is impossible and continue to the bottom.
Up, way up.

sevrdhed
Being the Real Strong

Postby sevrdhed » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:02 am

Ben Folsom wrote:As for the non-climber deaths that occur every year or so, most of that would be taken care of if we could rid the canyon of the drunk, partying teens who litter their fucking empty glass bottles all over the place.

Having previously been a drunk partying teen (although I did no litter my bottles all over the canyon), I can say without a doubt that instead of just ridding the canyon of them, we should simply rid the state of them. Seriously. I contribute nothing.

Also, big props to shaft, triz, manho, deebs, and the random hiker mike for being responsible people willing to help out in a crisis. You guys rock.

As for the other guys, karmas a bitch. They'll probably fuck themselves up in ferguson sometime when there AREN'T people like you guys up there to help.

G
N00b

Postby G » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:05 am

You wanted help, Shaft? Well, fuck me in the freakin' earhole. I had no idea. Next time, feel free to ask (rather than slagging me and my friends here).

You know, when your group came through, I think I was a bit shell-shocked from falling on the first pin of Benediction -- pins don't hold that well back home in NC. Anyway, I offered to move anything that I could. No one hinted at wanting help. And when we passed them on the way out, no one said a single word. If asked, I'd have been happy to help. From my view, your group didn't seem to want help, and that made perfect sense to me. My friend decks and we have a big group, we carry him out. Not you. I don't know you.

So, uh, as far as I'm concerned, you can suck it, that big middle finger you're waving around. And feel free to speak up (to my face) next time.

Hey, I'm sorry your day was ruined. I'm sorry your buddy was injured. I hope he recovers quickly and completely.

Nice to meet you.

zacrobinson
No Steezy Afterbang

Postby zacrobinson » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:17 am

classy.

sp
No Steezy Afterbang

Postby sp » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:14 am

Kind of a poor attitude G.

If you read a little more closely, the dude with a broken leg wasn't in their group. Just someone they volunteered to help.

And it's sure as sh!t nice to ask if you can help in a situation like this rather than waiting to be asked. If that was me with a bad injury, I'd certainly be more appreciative of people volunteering than having to be asked.

But I hope you feel good about asking if you should move your stuff. That shows loads of concern.

sevrdhed
Being the Real Strong

Postby sevrdhed » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:12 am

G wrote:back home in NC.

Is exactly where you belong. Do people back there seriously not volunteer to help? Sure am glad I live here.

You know, if the pin you fell on HAD pulled, and you hit the dirt, you can bet that the decent folk up there would've offered to help.

grk10vq
Fully Gay (NTTIAWWT)

Postby grk10vq » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:14 am

sevrdhed wrote:if the pin you fell on HAD pulled, and you hit the dirt

things that make you go hmmm..
like me on facebook

price1869
Insensitive Traitor

Postby price1869 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:42 pm

As far as I'm concerned, G is a lot nicer guy than all the dicks on this website. Next time, if you need help, just ask for it.

The story I got was that you had several people carrying the injured person down. Did you really need more chefs, or are you just trying to pick a fight?
12 fans, the exact number of dudes still posting on this chossy website.

Return to “Routes”