Ouray Ice Fest

Moderator: Shaft

sevrdhed
Being the Real Strong

Ouray Ice Fest

Postby sevrdhed » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:32 am

So, I mentioned this to a few people on saturday - however, we were all pretty drunk at the time (Thanks, American alpine club!) so god only knows what actually came of the conversation.

However, I'm looking to hit up the Ouray Ice fest this year, and I'm hoping to have some folks come with. I have one non-climber friend who's already planning on coming down - but I want to know if anyone from here is also interested in heading with us.

We're hoping to get about 7 people total, so we can rent a cabin out there and split it to try and keep costs down. The dates are January 7th through the 10th. Post up here or PM me if you're interested!
boissal wrote:jeebus the signature thing is out of hands...

Skyman
Lead, follow, or get out of the way!

Re: Ouray Ice Fest

Postby Skyman » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:10 am

Make your reservations early. Things book up pretty quick. Personally, I would not go near that place during the fest. Unless you just want the social aspect of it. That was fun. If you really want to climb, go just before the fest. It takes a while for the ice to recover from the week long beating. You will meet some very cool people though. I've been to a couple of fests. Now, I would rather just go climb.

Skyman

sevrdhed
Being the Real Strong

Postby sevrdhed » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:50 am

Skyman wrote:Make your reservations early. Things book up pretty quick. Personally, I would not go near that place during the fest. Unless you just want the social aspect of it. That was fun. If you really want to climb, go just before the fest. It takes a while for the ice to recover from the week long beating. You will meet some very cool people though. I've been to a couple of fests. Now, I would rather just go climb.

Skyman

I'm a terrible ice climber and have a burning need for people to set up topropes for me and make sure I don't kill myself. Plus, there's 2 nights of $15 all you can drink new belgium beer.

But I definitely agree, if you're a real ice climber, probably not the time to go out, what with the hordes of people and all. Fortunately, everyone here knows I'm just a boulderer.

PocketsOfBlue
N00b

Postby PocketsOfBlue » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:49 pm

I will likely be going down again this year. Last year was a hell of a time!

Almost all of the climbing can be accessed from above so you can set up TRs to your heart's content. The ice does get pretty crowded during the festival but there are enough areas to always be able to climb.

Skyman
Lead, follow, or get out of the way!

Postby Skyman » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:39 am

The social aspect of the fest is great. If you can get into a workshop, you would learn a lot. Make sure to stop by the Bien Tiempo in Ouray for some dick in the dirt margaritas. I get trashed everytime I'm in there. I think there are new owners as of a couple of years ago. Maybe not quite as good, but still worth it. Are you staying in one of the "climber cabins"?

Skyman

grk10vq
Fully Gay (NTTIAWWT)

Postby grk10vq » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:44 pm

blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah

servicedhed are you still thinking of going to this shit show?
like me on facebook

Sunny-D
Gaper

Postby Sunny-D » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:54 pm

Sevrdhed,
You are more then welcome to come climbing here in the Wasatch with me when I go out.
Dallen

sevrdhed
Being the Real Strong

Postby sevrdhed » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:51 pm

Dallen, I fully intend on taking you up on that offer again. That was a blast last time.

And grk, I'm gonna have to check with my dad, he may be having his birthday party that weekend which I can't really miss. But I do want to go out there still. Interested in joinin?

grk10vq
Fully Gay (NTTIAWWT)

Postby grk10vq » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:25 pm

yeah i-m.
like me on facebook

Sunny-D
Gaper

Postby Sunny-D » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:45 pm

Sevrdhed and grk10vq,
We go out there every year "NOT DURING THE FESTIVAL" it is way more fun when the festival isn't going. I would chip in for a room if you guys want to go another time then the festival- Or better yet lets go to CODY...

grk10vq
Fully Gay (NTTIAWWT)

Postby grk10vq » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:05 am

c o d y ? b o o y a h !

i would only be going to the festival to play beer pong, stock up on glasses, and heckle hed while he barfed on himself.
if i wanted to climb a ladder i'd clean my gutters.

lets make some plans shady-d.
like me on facebook

monkey
Badass Mofo

Postby monkey » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:11 am

Hard offer to turn down..

Hmmmm..

Yup I'm in
shame on mike white for thinking cracks shouldn't be bolted in the first place and shame on him for calling it like it is and hurting my feelings.

Sunny-D
Gaper

Postby Sunny-D » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:51 am

I was thinking late Feb. early March... Just need to set a date.
Dallen

Return to “Ice and snow”