[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
New AT Skis - Utahclimbers.com

New AT Skis

Moderator: Shaft

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Doughy
Boffin of wobblers
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

New AT Skis

Postby Doughy » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:50 pm

I'm thinking about buying some new AT skis. I've been out of the loop as far as equipment goes, so I'm wondering if you backcountry skiers could point me in the right direction as far as skis/bindings/boots.

I am pretty skinny, so I don't need very stiff skis or boots. I want some bindings that lock down for descent (can't remember what that's called). I'm looking for something that is good in the backcountry, but that would work for occasional resort skiing as well.

Hoox me up with some suggestions. What should I be looking for? How wide of a ski would you recommend, and what length? I am 5'9".

I might be able to get a deal on stuff from Black Diamond, so I'm specifically interested in them.

Skyman
Lead, follow, or get out of the way!

Postby Skyman » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:44 am

I'm 5'8, picked up some Voile Insanes last season. Wow. I ski with the Dynafit system. Boots, and bindings. You will not find a lighter setup. I've skied resorts with them. Pounded moguls, small cliffs, no problemo. The Diamir Fritschi system is pretty slick though. Kind of heavy and bulky compared to the Dynafit setup. The Black Diamond Havoc looks pretty cool.

Skyman

Tenesmus
Chupacabra

Postby Tenesmus » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:28 am

doughy - the dynafit system would work well for you as its light and simple. Heavier guys have a harder time at resorts with them. Its all pricey stuff though. I'd watch the TGR sale board as well as the telemarktips board too. getting a package with everything is quite possible and you'll save a lot even if you have to spend a grand.

jonathan knight
Scotch provider

Postby jonathan knight » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:23 pm

Dynafit is definitely the way to go, but your boots need to be compatible. It is unusual to see them for sale, used, but the TLT Speed does run a bit cheaper than other AT bindings. BD sells boot soles with Dynafit inserts that you can swap out on their new Factor and Method boots.

I have 175 VooDoos that are great for touring, but they come up a bit short at higher speeds and larger radius turns. (Same mold as the Havoc just a lighter lay-up.) The 175 Kilowatt might be a better option as a quiver of one. I wouldn't recommend going up to a 185 in the Kilowatt unless you are pretty aggressive and have the weight to work the ski. If you like a longer ski the 185 Voodoo/Havoc would be a good choice. You could step it up a notch and get some 180 Verdicts to grow into, as well. I end up skiing my first generation Verdicts most of the time. I'm 5' 10" and 175 lbs. Here's another take on the BD line-up from a sponsored athlete's 1/1/09 blog: http://www.tetonat.com/

You can demo all these and more from BD Retail. They generally put Fritshi's on them which will accept most any boot. You can also put a couple of the rentals toward your purchase. Call ahead to reserve the gear. They will also wax and mount the skis for you if you spend a minimum of around $300.

Shaft
mullet baitfish

Postby Shaft » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:16 pm

Thanks to the voluminous used ski market in Jackson, I think I am getting a pair of K2 tele skis mounted with Dynafit bindings.

I am looking for some used Dynafit compatible boots, mondo size 28.5, or US 10.5......anyone?

grayhghost
Super motivated and shit

Postby grayhghost » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:42 pm

70% resort 30% backcountry=170cm Verdicts with Fritche (sic) Freerides and BD Methods

30% resort 70% backcountry=175cm Voodoos with Dynafits and BD Methods

Tenesmus
Chupacabra

Postby Tenesmus » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:42 am

My business partner got some of those BD boots and absolutely loves them - I'm thinking I may have to try some next season. BD verdicts are really fun. I like the idea of VooDoo/dynafit for backcountry as my verdict 180's are big to lug around out there - maybe next year.

boissal
Posts photos of pets on Facebook

Postby boissal » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:51 pm

Dynastar Legend XXL 194 + Fritschi Diamir Freerides.
16lbs. Sure I'm not going to have fun getting myself to the top of Coalpit Headwall, but if I ever manage to get up there the ride down is going to be oh-so-sweet!! I know, they're too big, blah blah. I did with what I had at the time. I'll get strong or I'll quit.

Dynafit scare me, although I haven't skied them for many years. Hard transition when you're used to be held in stiff alpine boots/binding. These little things seem so flimsy... but then I've seen many hardcore skiers trash around at high speed in heinous snow with those, so they've got to be great.

By the way if anyone is willing to have some inexperienced Frenchman tag along when they tour and teach him the ways of the Wasatch BC, hit me up. I don't bitch nearly as much when I ski as when I climb. Plus it's a great opportunity to rip on Euros.
Yo mama's so fat her patronus is cake.

sevrdhed
Being the Real Strong

Postby sevrdhed » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:41 pm

The best option is to get badass friends and then have them hook you up with ridiculous deals on skis.

Thanks again sp.

sp
No Steezy Afterbang

Postby sp » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:35 pm

Are they getting used? Pics Please.

Return to “Ice and snow”