BackClip
Tie your hand to the bedpost

Re: Ice and snow pics

Postby BackClip » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:21 pm

Brian in SLC wrote:
boissal wrote:
BackClip wrote:Is that the Donor-cicle?^^^^

It is. Apparently fatter than ever.

Climbed the far right side when it was that fat before, but, many years ago. Huge. Most of my recent years photo's of it has it from pencil thin to standard fat. Rare to see it wall to wall like that.

Great shots!

Beehive cauliflower at the bottom is super common with the columns down there, and, other places. Can be frightening to lead...

I knew you climbed it when T-Rexs were roaming around. har har

I was taught to holster the tools and climb it like a 5.8 jug haul when the cauliflower was present.
"Does your ass get jealous from all the shit that comes out of your mouth?"

BackClip

Postby BackClip » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:44 am

Little Pine looks tastey from here

TDA shredding the Pink Pine gnar!

Brian in SLC
Gives Directions to the Pile

Postby Brian in SLC » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:39 pm

As bony as I've seen it this time of year...

Dusk patrol shift...
boissal wrote:Somebooody's smart balls need to be kicked all the way up the roof of his not so smart mouth.

BackClip

Postby BackClip » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:01 am

Nice perspective on the canyon. Trying to pin point where that was taken from..

Brian in SLC

Postby Brian in SLC » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:43 am

Just at the end of that first open spot as you break out of the trees on the Pink Pine ridge.

Your's was down near the bottom of the first steep section, just before it flattens out? I think I recognize that pointy pine tree.
boissal wrote:Somebooody's smart balls need to be kicked all the way up the roof of his not so smart mouth.

BackClip

Postby BackClip » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:06 am

Ah, I see it now. I like that shot. Yup thats excatly where mine was shot from....such a good area for this snow pack we have. Short walk and Avy safe.

Brian in SLC

Postby Brian in SLC » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:13 am

There's a couple fairly steep trouble spots on that east side of the ridge. I've seen a big fracture line/crown face on it, and, someone I recall measured a bit of it at 38 to 42 degrees in the trees.

Also had a partner, just a bit further to the south, pop a fairly big slide loose while ski cutting and managed to dive into a tree before the whole slope popped loose and slid past him. Way scary to see. This was further up the ridge, towards the steeper peak shoulder, but, still well off it. Just north of that big open real low angle apron to the south of the main run (empties straight down into the creek).

So...I'm pretty careful up there. Shallow snowpack ain't no good. Can't recall ever seeing this low a snowpack up there for almost late Feb. Crazy.

Watch yer top knot!

BackClip

Postby BackClip » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:23 am

Yeah, I didn't mean to blanket statment that. But in general, if your not reckless about terrain choice its pretty safe IMO...ie...thick-ish trees right now

Brian in SLC

Postby Brian in SLC » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:47 am

boissal
Posts photos of pets on Facebook

Postby boissal » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:21 pm

Brian in SLC wrote:Yeah...trees...dunno...

http://utahavalanchecenter.org/accident ... sin_272010

UAC wrote:victim triggered an avalanche, was caught, hit trees and suffered major injuries. He suffered open, tib-fib breaks on both lower legs and a broken left femur

Jeebus... That would justify a life flight. I got lost in that area last season, it's a steep maze with multiple entrances and some very committing stuff. Got sluffed out of one of those tubes and somehow managed to stay on my feet and not clip timber.

Anyway, to go along with Brian's observation, I had a couple of oh-shit moments on Pink Pine. Usually higher up on the ridge on the WP side (just below the steep rocky section of Rainbow Peak). It looks sheltered and well-anchored but wind-loads like a motherbitch and those small wind slabs want to mash you up in the trees. It's a tricky place that I tend to consider safe because it's a quick skin and thickly treed. Always need to remind myself that it doesn't take much to get dead. Except this year where I remind myself that I'm safe cause I don't ski...
Yo mama's so fat her patronus is cake.

Brian in SLC

Postby Brian in SLC » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:32 pm

boissal wrote:Jeebus... That would justify a life flight. I got lost in that area last season, it's a steep maze with multiple entrances and some very committing stuff. Got sluffed out of one of those tubes and somehow managed to stay on my feet and not clip timber.

Anyway, to go along with Brian's observation, I had a couple of oh-shit moments on Pink Pine. Usually higher up on the ridge on the WP side (just below the steep rocky section of Rainbow Peak). It looks sheltered and well-anchored but wind-loads like a motherbitch and those small wind slabs want to mash you up in the trees. It's a tricky place that I tend to consider safe because it's a quick skin and thickly treed. Always need to remind myself that it doesn't take much to get dead. Except this year where I remind myself that I'm safe cause I don't ski...

I think the tree spacing around Alexanders is pretty similar to a lot of that Pink Pine area... Yeah, those are friends of mine. Had John not used his climbing skin as a tournequet...

West side of Pink Pine is where Dave Anderson busted both his legs...prior to gettin' loaded on that life flight helicopter that crashed and killed everyone aboard.

This season for me...its all about slope angles and location...

BackClip

Postby BackClip » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:03 pm

Yeah, but look at the ascpect they were caught on. North /Northwest. East facing thick trees are good to go on that ridge IMO. Maybe we are talking about a different ridge, i dunno.

Brian in SLC

Postby Brian in SLC » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:37 pm

BackClip wrote:Yeah, but look at the ascpect they were caught on. North /Northwest. East facing thick trees are good to go on that ridge IMO. Maybe we are talking about a different ridge, i dunno.

Have you noticed a big difference in the snowpack on the NE versus NW aspects? I really haven't. Same shitty snow next to the ground on both, topped by that thick slab.

Pink Pine has a real thin snowpack right now, which makes me a bit more nervious.

I don't think it goes that often...but...I still watch the little convex areas that I know are a touch steeper up there. I ski that thing a bunch every year. Lazy!

You can scroll through the recent obs on the UAF site, some of the funner stuff mentioned below.

-Brian in SLC

Mill D North, yesterday:

Primary Concern:
Deep Slabs
Probability:
Considerable
Aspect:
North
Northeast
East
Northwest
Elevation:
High
Mid
Trend:
Same
Primary Concern Comments:
Pockets of Considerable still exist. But, it's only Considerable because of the consequences. This is probably an old topic, but it seems like the danger scale and ratings need to be broken into two categories: Likelihood and Consequences. This Considerable is very different than other Considerables. I wouldn't say that 'human triggered slides are likely', so it's not really Considerable in that sense. But, hitting the sweet and sour spot would be bad news.

Evelyn on Gobblers:

Snowpack structure remains a red flag - being able to punch your pole basket through to the ground is never a good thing. However time, creep, glide, settlement, and sintering are strengthening the slab (bridging). I'm still avoiding high elevation, northerly facing slopes steeper than about 35 degrees, especially shallow snowpack areas, convex terrain, and always traveling with an eye to consequences.

jonathan knight
Scotch provider

Postby jonathan knight » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:52 pm

Did you dig a pit? We sure did, but we were in Idaho.

165cm with a foot of facets at the bottom, some rounding (CT33 Q1) up on Galena Summit. We kept it conservative.

Lots of surrounding backcountry with a lot fewer folks.

Enjoying miles of vert on Baldy:

Every once in a while there'd be some chuffer in the way

The bumps on Exhibition are getting there.

Warm-up laps were run on Seattle Ridge trying to keep up with a geezer!

Back home it was snowing, but it sure was nice to go somewhere else to ski.

Stay safe out there.

BackClip

Postby BackClip » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:00 am

Nice pix JK! That place looks like a nice diversion.

Return to “Ice and snow”