[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Ice Climbing Fatality in Provo Canyon - Utahclimbers.com

Ice Climbing Fatality in Provo Canyon

Moderator: Shaft

builttospill
Sport Rappeller
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Ice Climbing Fatality in Provo Canyon

Postby builttospill » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:14 pm

Skyman
Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Skyman » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:21 pm

andrew
ETAOIN SHRDLU

Postby andrew » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:00 pm

builttospill
Sport Rappeller

Postby builttospill » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:57 am

Skyman

Postby Skyman » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:32 am

pretty callous. someone died - some of us are worried until we hear for sure what happened. can you keep your ghoulishness on the down low for awhile out of a sense of respect?

Ghoul: 1. A legendary evil being that robs graves and feeds on corpses. 2. One suggestive of a ghoul.

I don’t think I am an evil being for asking questions regarding an unfortunate incident. I ice climb. So do many of my friends. I am truly concerned if it could be one of my friends. I am also very interested in how it may have occurred. This will only help keep us all safer. Information is knowledge. Please enlighten me on how anyone is being disrespectful. Climbing is dangerous! Ice, even more so. We all should know this. I have lost many friends throughout the years. Some very dear to me. I think about them every time I climb, and try to learn from their mishaps.

I am truly sorry for the loss. My heart goes out to the friends and families. I meant no disrespect.

Skyman

andrew
ETAOIN SHRDLU

Postby andrew » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:15 am

I hate people dissecting accidents they weren't involved in - it is perhaps my biggest pet peeve in the world. The whole "I can learn something from this accident" bullshit is nothing but rubbernecking - pretty much every accident that can happen has happened over and over again. The time to discuss accident details is in private over a beer with some friends, or while reading ANAM. it is not something that you should be doing in an online forum in front of a bunch of upset people when the accident is still very fresh. I've seen discussions raking a friend of mine who died in a climbing accident over the coals, and it made me as angry as anything ever has in my life. If you died in a climbing accident, would you want your wife or parents to come across a thread talking about what you did wrong?

I didn't know Chris personally, but my best wishes go out to his friends, family, and partners. This sort of thing is heartwrenching.

Skyman

Postby Skyman » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:57 am

Where is my disrespect? I don't get it. I did not say anyone did anything wrong. I was inquiring on some details of an accident. How can I sit around in private drinking beer with my buds when I, or they don't know what happend. Again where is my disrespect? My intention is not to place blame or judge in any way. Would it be better to make assumtions? You obviously know this person, and are upset by his death. I would be too.

The whole "I can learn something from this accident" bullshit is nothing but rubbernecking - pretty much every accident that can happen has happened over and over again

I'm sorry but I dissagree.

I've read all the posts surrounding Skinners death. I DO NOT want this turning into that type of BS.

Again, please tell me how I am disrespecting anyone? Am I missing something?

Skyman

andrew
ETAOIN SHRDLU

Postby andrew » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:18 pm

I don't know Chris, but when I first posted yesterday I didn't know who was involved and was worried it was someone i know. Whether or not I know him doesn't matter to me - at some point his family and friends will likely come across this thread and will go through what I went through with my friend.

I'm sure the details will come out eventually, and then this thread will turn into a cluster like this very recent thread:

If you want to learn from accidents, just go get a copy of accidents in north american mountaineering. Please just use internet forums as a place to honor someone's memory. The way to do that is not to speculate about what went wrong.

Skyman

Postby Skyman » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:44 pm

Andrew, I read through those posts. Truly BS. Just like the Skinner threads. I can agree with you 100% on this. Please here me. I have no intentions of this turning into that sort of thread. I have received additional information regarding this incident. Out of respect for the familiy, I will end my comments.

I am truly sorry if some took my comments as disrespectful. This was not my intent.

Skyman

jun
S to the P to the R to the A to the Y

Postby jun » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:51 pm

builttospill and skyman did NOTHING wrong. they showed neither disrespect for the victim or a lack of tact towards those who might be involved. they were asking for informtaion, information that could not be found elsewhere. they came to a place where people can talk openly and often have details regarding situations like these that are not available from other sources.

in fact, if you read their original posts they are asking for information so that they could dispel rumors and dispose of incorrect information.

the only lack of respect has been shown by you Andrew. the question i have is if you are so worried about all of this why are you spending time on the forum getting mad at people? no one has done anything wrong but you.

in the beginning i only felt bad for the victim. now i'm pissed at your lack of respect to the people who post here. this is not boldering.com or other sites where people don't know each other and spend 90% of their time taking the piss. most of us know each other well and hang out frequently. you have no right to judge people or their intentions because of your past experiences or the experiences found on other sites.

when you've calmed down please reread the original posts and your responses. i think you find that you owe two people an apology. i, myself, do not expect one.

craig
Up, way up.

builttospill
Sport Rappeller

Postby builttospill » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:58 pm

It's fine, no big deal. It's a touchy subject for sure and I know I have felt similarly disgusted when accidents were dissected. Not my intention at all, having known one or two people that have died in the mountains.

I'll let it go at that, no need to continue to argue about it.

As someone mentioned on another site, Chris worked at BD and I'm fairly confident that I spoke with him at some point in my 4-5 calls to them this winter. Truly sorry to hear about it, even though I didn't know him personally.

kidjan
Goldfishy

Postby kidjan » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:11 pm

200#gorilla
Broseidon, King Of The Brocean

Postby 200#gorilla » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:48 pm

southtxtraveler
N00b

Postby southtxtraveler » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:20 am

MikeA
Rock Prodigy

Postby MikeA » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:12 am

Return to “Ice and snow”