Moderator: Shaft

TB
N00b

Granite Creek

Postby TB » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:14 pm

...in the Deep Creek Range

any established routes?

photo: Ralph Maughan
http://wolves.wordpress.com/2007/03/23/obscure-mountain-ranges-of-southern-idaho-nw-utah-and-eastern-nevada/

andrew
ETAOIN SHRDLU

Postby andrew » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:36 pm

sshhhhh!

its a beautiful place and there is a ton of rock, but everything i have tried to climb is extremely chossy.

crackroach
Sport Rappeller

Postby crackroach » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:52 am

Lotta oatmeal out there. Cool place to camp and explore. It's amazing how you can be in 100 degree heat in a desolate desert, then drive up one of the canyons and find a lush stream.

There are definitely some established routes. I've climbed a few. There are a few on good patina that are decent, but most of the rock is pretty shady. I did a few cracks a couple of canyons north of there in Indian Farm Canyon. Don't know if they were FAs or not.

As much rock as there is out there, there's gotta be some gems...good luck exploring.

crackroach
Sport Rappeller

Postby crackroach » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:03 am

The photo that intriged me was this one from the Toano range. The dome on the right looks like it could be good.

jonathan knight
Scotch provider

Postby jonathan knight » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:35 pm

MC and I checked that place out back in the day. We were on a "scoping" mission. We made it all the way to Pequop just checking out the visible rock along I-80 in his 80's era Tercel. Anyway, it's another kitty litter factory. I have done a couple routes further south in the Toano/Goshute range, on limestone. There are some pretty big walls about 30 miles south of I-80. Take the Shafter exit. Lots of wild horses in that valley.

The Fortification Range looks interesting:

the Granite Range, too.

Some of this stuff is on fire right now: http://www.fs.fed.us/news/fire/firemap.shtml

crackroach
Sport Rappeller

Postby crackroach » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:07 pm

jonathan knight said:

The Fortification Range looks interesting

Damn...very interesting. Look at the photos in the document linked here:

http://www.blm.gov/style/medialib/blm/nv/gis/maps.Par.47546.File.dat/Fotification_factsht_map.pdf

jonathan knight
Scotch provider

Postby jonathan knight » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:10 pm

That stuff looks pretty soft. It's close to another area in the Snake Range I've been going to, so it might make for a fun rest day exploration.

crackroach
Sport Rappeller

Postby crackroach » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:18 pm

If you ever want to go, I'd be up for exploring.

Ryan Brough
N00b

Postby Ryan Brough » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:45 pm

From SLC, is it faster to approach through Delta or through Wendover?

andrew
ETAOIN SHRDLU

Postby andrew » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:59 am

For the Deep Creeks? Wendover. The coolest way to get there is to drive that longass dirt road that skirts the south end of the Dugway Proving Grounds. Feels really out there - make sure to have a full tank of gas when you leave Tooele.

rexxter
N00b

beatiful place

Postby rexxter » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:00 pm

I have driven out there before. it is amazing. i went there with the intentions of finding some sick boulders but the rock is very chossy and breaks easy. I wonder if the cliffs are better. 1000s of sweet looking lines. it seems the brown granite is better there. i did find solid boulders but they looked like eggs. no holds. i have only been to granite creek. im going out there again to check out the canyon north of it. it has way more (at least 100 times more) rock/cliffs then granite creek. check it out on google earth. its bigger then LCC. even if the place has is not suited for climbing it is worth checking out for a weekend.

BTW

While i was down there i ran into some BLM guys and some natives. they were planting trees on a dirt road that lead to a campsite near a overhanging boulder. they told us the natives don't want people to go there because of the really old pictographs on the boulder and that area is sacred. they gave us permission to see them. they are the oldest known pictographs in america (about 2000 years old) and they aren't even on the map due to it being sacred.

Adoggie
N00b

Deep creek

Postby Adoggie » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:02 pm

Dunkan and I explored a canyon north of Callio. We fought dense thorn brush for hours. our exit was ankle bruising scree fields. better than the thorns. Potential? Three solid pitches worth of quartsite at the peak. But I'm not hacking back up that canyon until someone lights a forest fire and burns out all that undergrowth in the canyon floor. The canyon south and a cross over the mountain may be an alternative. We spotted the cliff on google earth.
They're lookin for ya. They hate Jews, Blacks, Mexicans, Hispanics, Indians, Asians, Arabs, Italians and the Irish. When they find you they're gonna KILL You. But I won't tell em where you live; you can be grateful for that.

gedouglass
N00b

Re: Granite Creek

Postby gedouglass » Mon May 18, 2009 2:44 pm

Hello - The Ruckman brothers and I did some first ascents out there a long time ago. I do not remember much about them accept one very good route we put up in Indian Farm Creek Canyon. It was on the north facing side on a nicely featured face (lots of black and gold streaks) close to the mouth of the canyon. It was a combination of hand drilled bolts, some pins, and a little bit of gear. I think it was about 10a and I remember it as being pretty good.

Hope this helps - Gordon Douglass

boissal
Posts photos of pets on Facebook

Postby boissal » Tue May 19, 2009 9:49 am

Reading through this thread had me spending a bunch of time on google earth trying to figure out where all the stuff was.
Along the way I stumbled on this, from the Utah Western Desert Ranges entry in summitpost.org:

The Western Desert of Utah is located near the Eastern boundary of the Great Basin. The area was stretched in East-West direction by mighty tectonic forces, creating a series of sunken valleys separating ranges and escarpments running North to South. In the past 20 million years, the Earth crust here has experienced extension by as much as factor of two.

The West escarpment of the House Range, near the geographical center of the area, is the most prominent. A sheer limestone cliff of Notch Peak, over 4,000 ft tall, has a number of technical rock climbing routes. Further South, it is carved by unique limestone slot canyons such as Upper Hell-n'-Moria.

Uh?? Limestone slot canyons what?? Spent some time trying to find anything on this Upper Hell-n'-Moria thing but to no avail.
Does anyone know about such a place? If so please pass on the info, I'm very interested.
Yo mama's so fat her patronus is cake.

ddriver
Chuffer

Postby ddriver » Tue May 19, 2009 12:24 pm

boissal wrote: Reading through this thread had me spending a bunch of time on google earth trying to figure out where all the stuff was.
Along the way I stumbled on this, from the Utah Western Desert Ranges entry in summitpost.org:

The Western Desert of Utah is located near the Eastern boundary of the Great Basin. The area was stretched in East-West direction by mighty tectonic forces, creating a series of sunken valleys separating ranges and escarpments running North to South. In the past 20 million years, the Earth crust here has experienced extension by as much as factor of two.

The West escarpment of the House Range, near the geographical center of the area, is the most prominent. A sheer limestone cliff of Notch Peak, over 4,000 ft tall, has a number of technical rock climbing routes. Further South, it is carved by unique limestone slot canyons such as Upper Hell-n'-Moria.

Uh?? Limestone slot canyons what?? Spent some time trying to find anything on this Upper Hell-n'-Moria thing but to no avail.
Does anyone know about such a place? If so please pass on the info, I'm very interested.

If memory is working, Hell-n'-Moria is the canyon immediately south of Notch. You used to be able to enter it from the east side of the range via a side-road from Sawtooth Cyn. That access has since been blocked, I believe. West-side access is probably open, don't know. Can't attest to a slot canyon, either.

Return to “New Areas”