The Fin Rose on the Fin

Moderator: Shaft

tanderson
Lead, follow, or get out of the way!

The Fin Rose on the Fin

Postby tanderson » Sat May 30, 2015 10:18 pm

I was reading the old Wasatch guidebook title Desparate Grace. Not only having one of the most fitting names for a guidebook pertaining to LCC granite, it also holds a very interesting route called the Fin Rose. As an "author" of a "guidebook" that involved many jokes, nicknames, and fictatious stories, I wonder what is the story behind this.

From Desparate Grace:

3. Fin Rose', I A4, marks Herb Lowe's finest hour. This is certainly the area's oddest and most contrived route, and probably, the world's. Lowe, on a bet, managed to link the upper sections of the other Fin routes by a series of peculiar but daring skateboard moves, including a brisk, rolling pendulum off a tied-off car key. His belayer was unable to follow the route, being on foot, and had to be winched up the face lika a human haul sack.

Tda

bsmoot
Wasatch benefactor

Re: The Fin Rose on the Fin

Postby bsmoot » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:51 pm

It was joke and some good insight into the minds of the authors. Every time I ask Dennis about this he bursts out laughing. He won't say much about the mystical character Herb Lowe....I'd like to hear more.

I love this part:

His belayer was unable to follow the route, being on foot, and had to be winched up the face lika a human haul sack.

Great Guidebook!

tanderson
Lead, follow, or get out of the way!

Re: The Fin Rose on the Fin

Postby tanderson » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:22 am

I figured it was a fun joke by Dennis. He seems like a pretty good guy. The only time I met him was when I was stuck by myself without a rope, at the tree that is at the start of the last pitch to the great white icicle. I soloed up to that point and didn't have the nutsack to do the last 40 foot section because I could see the water running behind it. He was happy to let me tie a rope around my waist and join his group. I bet he thought I was a gumby, but he didn't show it.

I liked to write up fictitious stuff, especially about people that really liked to see their name next to a first ascent. To avoid inflating people egos anymore, I changed all the names in one guidebook.

tda

Return to “Announcements/Events/Other/Statewide”