The cheapening of gear.

Moderator: Shaft

tanderson
Lead, follow, or get out of the way!

The cheapening of gear.

Postby tanderson » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:26 pm

The wife bought me an Osprey pack a while back. I have to stack the rope in the bottom so stuff doesn't fall out of the many holes in the paper thin bottom. Also, the thin plastic buckles are sewn in making it mandatory to cut the webbing to replace them. What numbskull came up with that idea? I switched to a Lowe Alpine pack from the mid 90's. What a bomber pack. The difference in weight between the two packs is negligible.
Does it seem like gear of today is made with breakdown and obolescence, in the mind and hopes of the manufacturers? I know, there are some good companies, but I swear that the bulk of the shit in REI is disposable and still expensive.

Anybody else feel this way?

My new 1968 tent. Bomber as hell

grk10vq
Fully Gay (NTTIAWWT)

Re: The cheapening of gear.

Postby grk10vq » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:44 pm

somebody married you?
like me on facebook

tanderson

Postby tanderson » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:58 pm

Talked her into it when I was still climbing 5.12. Now, I'm pooching 5.9

grk10vq
Fully Gay (NTTIAWWT)

Postby grk10vq » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:01 pm

on a serious note, which is rare, i completely agree. all the sturdy items i own are 10+/- years old?

i think companies caught on and adopted the disposable, nike shoe philosophy? i think the idea is here to stay? would a durable product company survive in this day and age? i also think its an issue of where the products are being made and the rate at which they're being turned-over.
like me on facebook

tanderson

Postby tanderson » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:50 pm

I can vouch for how crappy Mountain Hardware has become. I bought my wife a MH down coat in 2000, and bought her another in 2009. The one from 2000 is stained, looks used, but still gets the job done. The 2009 model has seems like it lost chunks of fill and is a much colder coat. It also has cheaper zippers, less reinforcements, and less fill to begin with. Both are 650 fill.

Durf used to be a devout MH user, and he thinks their stuff has turned to junk also.

Maybe this downgrading is why Kong gear seems to be getting better in quality.

rudyj2
Crushing The Slips

Postby rudyj2 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:41 pm

Yes, it is happening. Not just with outdoor gear. I have been ordering shoes from this company Shoes for Crews. They make non slip footwear good for kitchens and the like. I have used their shoes for the past 8 years. The 1st pair lasted 4 years. The 2nd pair lasted 2 years. The 3rd pair has lasted less than 1 year. I am not replacing this pair, I quit the job instead.
This site is for spray and shittalk only dammit.

Spud
N00b

Postby Spud » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:28 am

This is interesting. My son just blew out a 1989 Patagonia down sweater which I used for many years, a lot. It just finally screwed the pooch and got thin losing down from various worn spots. It was an awesome jacket. I gave him my 1999 MH down jacket a lot heavier, less packable, but bomber, he's building trails for the UCC, we'll see how long this one holds up. I've gone to a RAB but don't expect it to last 5 years much less 20. It seems that most profit driven companies(ALL of them) are cutting corners and foregoing function and durability for form.

boissal
Posts photos of pets on Facebook

Postby boissal » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:34 am

3rded or whatever.
The only large "traveling" bag I have that has held up to years of abuse (read: stuff it full of camping gear, kick and stomp it to shape) is an old hockey bag my dad used when he was in his 20s.
I've destroyed 2 or 3 others just by having them fly around in airplanes.

GRK's now edited piece on the climbing pants rings very true. The shelf life of the ass area of Prana pants is 3 months/6 climbing days.
Yo mama's so fat her patronus is cake.

BackClip
Tie your hand to the bedpost

Postby BackClip » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:00 am

Dude, the boyscouts are jealous of yer new tent. How does that rig stand up against a desert wind storm? I am jealous of that sweet canopy thingy.
"Does your ass get jealous from all the shit that comes out of your mouth?"

Return to “Announcements/Events/Other/Statewide”