Important Beer News

Moderator: Shaft

sp
No Steezy Afterbang

Important Beer News

Postby sp » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:26 pm

Not to interrupt anyone's miscellaneous slander, but...

http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/cans.html

:D

grk10vq
Fully Gay (NTTIAWWT)

Re: Important Beer News

Postby grk10vq » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:11 pm

double smiley face thing!

i read this article in the tribune not too long ago, but long enough to be cached. so here's what
i could still get from a conversation btw the trib and bohemians owner/brewer on canned beer:

"Once the equipment became more affordable and accessible, there was no reason not to forge ahead, Petras said."

Packaging perks » A can’s tight seal and its opaque coloring protect hand-crafted beers from air and light — two of its three worst enemies — which can cause “skunky” beer. Heat is beer’s third enemy.

“Beer is a live food product, and when UV light comes into contact with beer, it changes its molecular structure,” Petras said. Even though green- or dark-colored bottles keep out some light, UV rays can still penetrate the glass.

The environmental aspects are another reason to favor beer in a can. The cans that Bohemian uses are made from at least 40 percent recycled material; they weigh less than glass, which reduces shipping costs; and they can be recycled easier than glass.

While the family’s “mom and pop” operation has had to educate customers one can at a time, it has been worth the financial investment, Petras said. Since increasing its brewing capacity about two years ago, Bohemian has seen a 30-percent increase in annual sales. In 2010, Bohemian brewed 3,300 barrels of beer, and hopes to produce about 4,000 barrels this year.

A better fit » The can is “the perfect package” for beer, says Del Vance, a Utah beer expert.

“It’s gotten kind of a bad rap over the last several decades,” said Vance, the owner of Salt Lake City’s Beer Hive Pub. “It’s been associated with cheap beers and there’s an urban legend that says the metal ruins the taste.”

Vance, who chronicled Utah brewery history in Beer in the Beehive, believes more breweries in Utah will be switching to cans in the next few years. Cans are simply a better fit to the state’s outdoor lifestyle.

“Canned beer is better for hiking, biking and skiing,” he said. “You don’t have to worry about them breaking.”

On his last trip to Mt. Everest, famous Utah climber Apa Sherpa carried a can of Bohemian’s Czech Pilsener and its Viennese Lager to the top of peak, making it the first craft beer be taken to the summit.

Canned beer is definitely a topic at Squatters Pub Brewery. A few years ago, the Salt Lake City brewery canned its Provo Girl Pilsner and Chasing Tail Golden Ale for the summer season, said Amy Coady, marketing director. The process was discontinued last year when the company expanded its production facility and began focusing on 750-milliliter bottles, 7-ounce slammers and 5-liter “chubby” aluminum kegs.

But Coady added: “We are certain to offer this type of product again soon.”

in other important beer news, the "chubby" was discontinued in a deal to get more restaurant liquor licenses and in a near unanimous vote last week, bill 283 (select holiday liquor store openings) was shot down because "it will most definitely increase drinking and driving".
like me on facebook

sevrdhed
Being the Real Strong

Postby sevrdhed » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:45 am

grk10vq wrote:in other important beer news, the "chubby" was discontinued in a deal to get more restaurant liquor licenses and in a near unanimous vote last week, bill 283 (select holiday liquor store openings) was shot down because "it will most definitely increase drinking and driving".

Every time the legislature shoots down a bill because they claim it will increase drinking and driving, I'm going to drink and drive. Then we can do a study that shows that stupid ass legislation increases drinking and driving, and they'll have to cut it out.
boissal wrote:jeebus the signature thing is out of hands...

BackClip
Tie your hand to the bedpost

Postby BackClip » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:49 pm

Wasatch needs to can Hop Rising, now thats a brew I can get stand behind....hmmmmmm 9%.
"Does your ass get jealous from all the shit that comes out of your mouth?"

Tea
VIKING WARLORD

Postby Tea » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:49 pm

Buzz Rising is straight-up Devil Juice! (and I love it)

Backclip....I told you my colorful Hop Rising story before.

"Blaaaagggggarararargh...........wanna fuck?"

"No Ma'am....no ma'am I do not"

You just can't make that shit up.
I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

BackClip

Postby BackClip » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:02 pm

Buzz Rising...so funny..

Yes, that story is a classic!

grk10vq
Fully Gay (NTTIAWWT)

Postby grk10vq » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:17 pm

the next best thing to buzz rising is Uinta Hop Notch - 7.3%
smooth as butter and you can take down a handful rather easily.

like me on facebook

zacrobinson
No Steezy Afterbang

Postby zacrobinson » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:33 pm

I've been a fan of this over the winter. Doesn't taste quite as strong as the hop rising.
still keeps you warm when you are camping.
boissal wrote:Don't you guys know there's only one cottonwood canyon?!

grk10vq
Fully Gay (NTTIAWWT)

Postby grk10vq » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:59 pm

coming to a store near you!

Alta 75th Anniversary Ale rolled off the line at Wasatch Brewery on Thursday, Nov. 1, 2012....and into my mouth at/around 3:30pm.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/lifestyle/55158882-80/beer-nov-wine-alta.html.csp

grk quick review: good, not strong enough, and no where near as crusty or bitter as half the skiiers at alta.
get some now, because nobody cares about 76th anniversaries.
like me on facebook

boissal
Posts photos of pets on Facebook

Postby boissal » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:44 pm

In 1878, there were 26 saloons in the rugged mining community, Marshall said. Records show that there were also 19 other businesses in town, including restaurants, billiard halls and a general store that carried everything from liquor to dynamite.

Liquor and dynamite. What could possibly go wrong.
Viva Patsy Marley!
Yo mama's so fat her patronus is cake.

BackClip

Postby BackClip » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:18 pm

Best review evar!

Brian in SLC
Gives Directions to the Pile

Postby Brian in SLC » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:57 pm

grk10vq wrote:grk quick review: good, not strong enough, and no where near as crusty or bitter as half the skiiers at alta.

Will the beer push you off the high traverse or ski across your skis?

Or punch you for poachin' the lift line? (where did that video go? Hilarious!)

Ha ha.

Yeah, any ale less than 6.0 abv ain't worth swillin'...
boissal wrote:Somebooody's smart balls need to be kicked all the way up the roof of his not so smart mouth.

Return to “Announcements/Events/Other/Statewide”