A few old school Grand Canyon photos

Moderator: Shaft

tanderson
Lead, follow, or get out of the way!

Re: A few old school Grand Canyon photos

Postby tanderson » Thu May 30, 2013 11:38 am

No harm done with any comments from ZOZO.

The boat was designed by my cousin who was an old grand guide during the eightees. I am co-owner with him. He used to build boats for the companies on the off season. This is a collaboration of what worked during those years. I got some 12 foot oars for it also. He claims it will row. I am down for a high water day trip maybe next year if the snow allows. My cousin was talking about a motor mount called a "jumping jack" that can mount the motor on and be able to lift it out of the water if necessary. What are some tricks that you can describe here? This is a whole new beast that I'm excited to try. I was making the wife drink liquor to save weight, but now this is in my fleet, she can bring all the beer she wants!

Troy

ps. there are over 100, 27' foot tubes on ebay right now for 500.00 each!

bsmoot
Wasatch benefactor

Postby bsmoot » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:57 pm

Troy:

We used Cieba for our last few Grand trips. We were quite pleased.

Clay, the camp was early on...maybe 1st or 2nd night...I'll try and find out...It was an excellent camp.

Tenesmus
Chupacabra

Postby Tenesmus » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:39 am

tanderson wrote:No harm done with any comments from ZOZO.

The boat was designed by my cousin who was an old grand guide during the eightees. I am co-owner with him. He used to build boats for the companies on the off season. This is a collaboration of what worked during those years. I got some 12 foot oars for it also. He claims it will row. I am down for a high water day trip maybe next year if the snow allows. My cousin was talking about a motor mount called a "jumping jack" that can mount the motor on and be able to lift it out of the water if necessary. What are some tricks that you can describe here? This is a whole new beast that I'm excited to try. I was making the wife drink liquor to save weight, but now this is in my fleet, she can bring all the beer she wants!

Troy

ps. there are over 100, 27' foot tubes on ebay right now for 500.00 each!

Way cool! I've heard people can row those things but never really wanted to try. You'd almost have to do front and aft sweep style like they used to use in Idaho. (ew) You must have spent a ton of time welding that stuff?

We called those things a 'jackass' and you lift a lever and the whole motor raises while keeping the prop at a good angle to the water. You can call any of the GC motor companies and they'll tell you their system and likely who to contact about getting one. Not really necessary unless you're boating super low water. You could do Cat tomorrow in that rig.

Oh, and you'll find yourself moving from the standard rafting/car camping equipment to stuff more in line with Winnebago/RV camping :)

If I bought 27' tubes my wife would absolutely freak out!!

Shaft
mullet baitfish

Postby Shaft » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:32 am

I'm back - kinda, you bishes should shut your pie holes about me being MIA.

Just finished this and all you punters (get it?) need to as well, it was excellent:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Emerald-Mile- ... 1439159858

boissal wrote:"MEMORY DAB, REFUSING TO ACCEPT DEFEAT DAB, NOT SENDING THE RIGHT PROBLEM DAB, AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHH DAB."

tanderson
Lead, follow, or get out of the way!

Postby tanderson » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:20 pm

Thanks for the tip.

This books sounds like a good read.

photos for Cat in June 2013
Durf aka Lou Ferrigno was a great swamper! I discovered how great motors are on this trip

BackClip
Tie your hand to the bedpost

Postby BackClip » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:06 pm

"Does your ass get jealous from all the shit that comes out of your mouth?"

Tenesmus
Chupacabra

Postby Tenesmus » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:11 am

Shaft wrote:I'm back - kinda, you bishes should shut your pie holes about me being MIA.

Just finished this and all you punters (get it?) need to as well, it was excellent:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Emerald-Mile- ... 1439159858

I've heard this is amazing. The story is legendary.

Nice photos Troy! Love Cat with a motor. You can always get permits this time of year. Wanna do an overnighter??

Return to “Announcements/Events/Other/Statewide”