Ultimate climbing road rig

Moderator: Shaft

db
By all means, not a newbie

Ultimate climbing road rig

Postby db » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:35 pm

OK, I'm looking for my next rig. I've been through the VW Westfalia and out the other side. It had great camping gear, but a shitty engine.

Exhibit A

Sportsmobile is the ultimate CAV (climbing assault vehicle), but very $$$pendy.

Exhibit B

What else have you all seen that works well? I'm not that concerned with 4x4 capability. A bit of clearance gets you to most crags.

sevrdhed
Being the Real Strong

Postby sevrdhed » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:53 pm

For my next vehicle, I'm looking towards getting a big 15 passenger van with a natural gas conversion, and then just building up my own bed/shelves/etc. in the back. Fairly inexpensive, natural gas is cheap (and you can fill up in price), you get plenty of space, and you can run it on regular gasoline if need be.

jun
S to the P to the R to the A to the Y

Postby jun » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:04 pm

i'm going to do what i always do, mooch rides off of other people and sleep in a tent.
Up, way up.

db

Postby db » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:08 pm

Ok Jun, that was a valid approach for me about 20 years ago. But it's hard to tell the kids that we're going to the crags wedged in the back of someone's Subie. And I am done with the nights of flapping, wet nylon. There's nothing better than waking up warm and cozy, reading the guidebook over a hot breakfast, and then walking to the crag past the soggy tenter that are still trying to warm up and dry out.

jun

Postby jun » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:11 pm

completely valid.

then again, i just leave my kids at home. well, ok, i do take the oldest from time to time. he likes to try and burn shafty.
Up, way up.

db

Postby db » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:58 pm

Shaft
mullet baitfish

Postby Shaft » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:51 pm

I have dragged the smallest Coleman tent trailer, I wish I still had it. Built in awning, furnace, relocatable indoor/outdoor propane stove and semi-usable cold water pump sink, yakima roof rack, two twin beds.

I would never drag it along for an adult trip unless it was an extended-less-than-20-degree winter excursion as the propane furnace heated it right up. For trips with small children it was ideal - especially once you understood a small child could fall out of the tent part if the bungee wasn't tightened WAY down.

Weight was about about 2100 lbs, gas mileage still suffered. Not a lot of clearance for rough roads, I hear that you could flip the axle to make it ride a little higher.

200#gorilla
Broseidon, King Of The Brocean

Postby 200#gorilla » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:47 pm

WINDSTAR.

take out the back seats and you have room equal to a queen size bed.

low key,

pretty good clearance,

not bad on gas,

fast as shit,

luv it.

Tenesmus
Chupacabra

Postby Tenesmus » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:56 pm

This is a job for Supertopo. There is a cool thread about stuff like this about once a month. And there is always someone selling their econoline conversion.

One of the buildings I work in is selling a 96 econoline van with a wheelchair lift for $1000. 196,000 of the slowest driving miles you could imagine. Its the proverbial short bus.

My wife gave me the evil eye when I brought up the potential.

crackroach
Sport Rappeller

Postby crackroach » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:02 pm

My next rig will probably be a diesel (for biodiesel use) pickup. Something like a Nissan Frontier Longbed, with a tall topper and built in bed with pullout shelf underneath.

But I gotta have 4x4 capabilities for many desert recon missions.

sevrdhed
Being the Real Strong

Postby sevrdhed » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:57 am

You could also get a scamp trailer. Very small trailers designed to be towed by smaller vehicles, such as lesbarus:

http://www.scamptrailers.com/

We take our buddies tent trailer on trips about half the time, and I can tell ya, while it's not totally necessary, it's pretty damned nice to have. Especially for the women-folk.

sp
No Steezy Afterbang

Postby sp » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:17 am

When I've thought about this off and on, I've thought more about a small trailer. I understand that some of the small teardrop ones are light and aero enough that they have no impact on mileage.

Here's a good link:

http://www.kerola.com/campers.htm

jamesmonster
Dread Pirate

Postby jamesmonster » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:16 am

xterra. lovesac. down comforter. feather pillow. headlamp reading light. and mp3 w/speakers.

Skyman
Lead, follow, or get out of the way!

Postby Skyman » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:18 pm

The sportsmobile would be the bomb. I too have gone many routes. 85 Nissan 4X4 with a shell & bed. Then a 1980 VW Westfallia, then a 1990 VW Westfallia. Needed more power & reliability. Now I have a Ford F250 Diesel with a fourwheel brand pop-up camper. Now I can go anywhere, have a forced air furnace, three way fridge, sink, two queen beds. The best thing is, I can take the camper off in about 20 minutes and I have a full size truck to use for Mt. biking, rafting, and many other uses for a truck.

http://www.fourwh.com/grandby.htm

Here is my camper. Well, not THE camper in the photo.

You can find some great deals on used diesel trucks right now.

Skyman

jun

Postby jun » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:41 pm

tiny monster said:
xterra. lovesac. down comforter. feather pillow. headlamp reading light. and mp3 w/speakers.

hey, don't forget '9mm' along with other amenities.
Up, way up.

Return to “Announcements/Events/Other/Statewide”