Stymingersfink

Moderator: Shaft

builttospill
Sport Rappeller

Postby builttospill » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:42 pm

A bit after the fact, but I didn't see this thread until just now.

Daryn and I did the first 2-3 pitches of Stairway last year after work one day. There was a blinding snowstorm, but he was completely comfortable leading into it. We shouldn't have even hiked up the gully below the climb it was so wind-loaded, but we didn't really care enough to stop. I took a fall following because my hands were so numb, and my rope got stuck descending. We tied it off, and one of Daryn's friends got it the next day and he returned it to me. When we got down I had a message from the county sheriff asking us to check in when we got down, because they thought we were in trouble (headlights near Bridal Veil Falls at night in a snowstorm elicit concern I suppose).

I never saw him again after that (nor before) but we talked about ice a fair amount. In retrospect, I find it telling that the one time I went climbing with him it was such an epic, unexpected adventure, and one that none of my other partners would have considered going on. I'm almost glad that that is my sole memory of him, because it is such a good one.

jun
S to the P to the R to the A to the Y

Postby jun » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:13 am

that was epic compared to the first time i belayed you on that mind-numbing lead you had last year?

what was the name of that route?

now that was scary, for me, at least.
Up, way up.

builttospill
Sport Rappeller

Postby builttospill » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:40 am

jun wrote:that was epic compared to the first time i belayed you on that mind-numbing lead you had last year?

what was the name of that route?

now that was scary, for me, at least.

Yeah, if we count the incident on Scruffy Band, I'm 2 for 3 on crazy adventures with you when we go climbing. The Egg was the only time something unpleasant hasn't happened.

And that route was Bridal Veil Right.

trashman
Tosser

Re: Stymingersfink

Postby trashman » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:43 am

8 fucking years in the blink of an eye. I still find myself reaching for your number sometimes, like you're just another friend I've drifted away from.
I wish that were true, a weekend in the desert w you sounds pretty good right now.

Off for a lap of that Haynes album you gave me, thanks for that and so much more.

Return to “Announcements/Events/Other/Statewide”